Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

FISHCAKES

SALMON BURGERS

So once again I was browsing though "The Nordic Diet" and I found this recipe for Salmon Burgers-accompanied by Roasted Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus.

I have tried different Salmon Burgers as a kid. My Mom made "Salmon Croquettes" - she just reminded me that in fact
she used canned Salmon. I have purchased already prepared burgers from the fish store-but they all lacked something or had too many onions-or were just plain too fishy tasting.

These are really good! No onions and no overpowering
fishy taste. Now if you can not find Salmon or think it is a bit pricey Cod is a great substitute.

SALMON BURGERS (serves 4)
1 lb skinless, boneless fresh salmon (I used
frozen Silver Coho Wild Caught From Trader Joes)
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp old-fashioned oats (not instant)
2 tbsp flour (all purpose is fine)
two egg whites
4 tbsp finely grated carrot
4 tbsp coarsely grated squash
1 tbsp finely chopped lemon thyme
1 tbsp canola oil
smallest lump of butter

Ahead of time, blend the salmon in a food processor. Place in a bowl and add the sea salt and stir well, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Place in the frig to chill for an hour.

Using a spoon and your free hand shape into balls then gently pat into flattish rounds.
Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and cook over medium heat about 5 or 6 minutes per side.

For my side dishes I made roasted potatoes that I just added olive oil and salt and freshly ground pepper-Put them in the oven preheated to 400 and baked for 30-40 minutes.

I also made asparagus that I placed in an ovenproof dish with cut-up lemon and put in the oven for the last 15 minutes with the potatoes.

I made a sauce of greek yogurt (non-fat) and coriander which was fine but the original recipe called for parsley and mint. Now for some reason I do not like parsley - and I could not find fresh mint - but I admit it would have been better with the mint!

It was a really nice meal.

Next up I am going to be making pickled beets. They are going to be served along
side Biff Lindström which is a cooked variation on beef tartar. They take a week to pickle but I will back before then.












1 comment:

  1. Tuna also works! Though I do like a little bit of onion with tuna. You can also use bread crumps (rasp) to give substance, instead of flour. A bit grittier that way.

    ReplyDelete