Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

NOT A GOOD FOOD WEEK

So this week has had it's up and downs-take tonight I had planned on making Orange-Fennel Mussels a Mario Batali recipe-but when I went to take out my mussels and debeard and clean them they were all dead -I bought them this afternoon at Fish Tales my go to fish store-I wanted Prince Edward but they were all out-so I bought these New Zealand mussels-fish man said to open bag and leave in frig-just what I did-but they would not close-so after a frantic call to my brother-in-law who turns out was out of town-I googled and it said the following:
  1. Choose your mussels with care, buying them only from reputable supermarkets and fishmongers.
  2. Raw mussels are always sold live: they should be shiny, mostly unbroken and closed, and generally smell of nothing other than the sea.
  3. Get them home straight away and cover them with plenty of cold fresh water (mussels don't like tap water, so they shut up and wait for the real tide to come in!).
  4. Scrub them well and remove any barnacles and the tough fibrous 'beard'. Throw away any with broken shells.
  5. Raw mussels that refuse to close when rapped on the side of the sink are dead: throw them away.
  6. Mussels that remain closed having just been through the cooking process were dead before you bought them and should also be chucked out.
So I chucked them out and am now awaiting Japanese Take Away.

Also my Rye Sour Dough Starter failed again-It again grew mold!
So I have done some research and my recipe sez I should use Buttermilk-but according to alot of bread blogs most people said just rye flour and water and gave much more information on the whole process-I will start again tomorrow.

For now I am going to enjoy some sushi and watch a movie!










1 comment:

  1. i heard somewhere that ur not suppose to have mussels on certain months of the year or something...crazy huh?

    ReplyDelete