Search This Blog

Saturday, March 6, 2010

RYE BUNS





Tak for Mad is Danish for Thanks for the Meal and is usually expressed at the end of the meal. Like "can I be excused" but nicer to my way of thinking.
I decided to start this blog to keep track of new dishes I am cooking but also to share them and I hope have friends and family send in their experiences in the kitchen.
Recently my nephew Martin gave my husband Lars a new cookbook for his birthday called the 'The Nordic Diet" by Trina Hahnemann a Danish Chef.So as my first experience I decided to try Rye Buns which was a huge success.
The recipe follows as well a some pics.


RYE BUNS
Makes 20(more like 25
if made smaller)

50g fresh yeast (first problem: it is very hard to find cube yeast here so I used packets of dry yeast. I Googled around and found a formula for yeast that works out as 5% of the flour amountt. In this case 800g x 5% = 40g, then half of that for dry yeast which = 20. In truth I used 3 packets of dry which = 21g. (at 7g per packet and they came out fine and not too yeasty)

400ml yogurt (I used low fat)
4 tbsp honey
100g spelt flour
500g rye flour
200g plain flour
1tbsp salt
1 egg beaten
poppy seeds to sprinkle

Dissolve the yeast in warm water and then add the yogurt and honey.

Mix the spelt, rye and plain flours and salt and then stir into the yeast mixture for 5 minutes.

On a floured work surface knead the dough well (ok, for me this was the first time I have really kneaded anything. I have experience with the bread machine and of course the famous "Niels bread" which will be coming up soon. But this was the stickiest dough and I kneaded what I thought was an eternity which was of course was only 10 minutes or so. It never really reached a "dough ball" phase. But it rose fine.)

Place the dough back in the bowl cover, with kitchen towel and let it rise for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F and line some baking trays with baking paper.

As the dough is a bit sticky ( an understatement!) make sure you have a small bowl with flour that you can keep dipping your hands in. Form twenty buns and place on trays.

Take your beaten egg and brush onto buns then sprinkle liberally with poppy seeds.

Bake for 30 minutes (I think you can go five minutes more)

Take out and let them cool on a wire rack.

They will last for 4 or five days stored in a breadbox or bowl with kitchen towel.
For us they lasted two days and I took half and froze them after they were cooled off.





No comments:

Post a Comment