Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

HAYMANN'S CARROT FRITTERS


My dear friend Haymann in Hong Kong has sent me a really great recipe complete with pictures of these very delicious looking Carrot Fritters.
I will admit that I attempted to make them and failed , but I will go on record as saying that even though they looked terrible and were too soupy they tasted great!
I wrote to her and she had some suggestions which I will try.I think the big difference may be in the condensed milk it may be thicker, also I grated the carrots by hand (what was I thinking I have a food processor) and they may have been grated too fine. Lastly I used Jarlsberg which is what I had on hand next time I will use cheddar. Even with all that they still tasted fantastic.
So think how good it will be if you follow the recipe!

Healthy Carrot Fritters

These veggie fritters can be served with a watercress salad with olive oil and lemon juice dressing.

The following recipe makes: 6-8, or enough for 2-3 people

325g carrots
A medium onion
A clove of garlic, crushed
150ml double cream or condensed milk (I used the latter cos it's less fattening)
An egg, beaten
3 heaped tbsp of grated cheese, like a strong Cheddar
A handful of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped (no dried herbs pls!)
3 heaped tbsp plain flour
Olive oil for shallow-frying
Salt and pepper for seasoning

1. Scrub the carrots and push them through a food processor fitted with a grater attachment. Alternatively, grate them by hand using the coarse side of the grater. Either way, you are after long, thin shreds rather than mush.

2. Peel the onion, finely slice or grate it and stir it into the carrots along with the garlic and a seasoning of salt and black pepper. Stir in the double cream or condensed milk, beaten egg, grated cheese, roughly chopped coriander and the flour.

3. Warm a shallow layer of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Drop large dollops of the mixture into the pan, a couple at a time, and fry till lightly cooked on the underside. Turn with a fish slice and allow the other side to colour. They should take three or four mins per side, until they are dark gold. Lift out on to a warm plate and remove extra oil with a sheet of kitchen roll. Eat immediately.

Ok once again I tried and failed-they again tasted terrific but looked less than appetizing and were too soupy but I will not give up-I will add more flour and less liquid. I will also work on the grating process.

I think it is important to post failures as well as triumphs and hopefully try again until you get things right.

If all else fails I guess I just have to get on a plane and pay her a long overdue visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment