Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

RHUBARB BUTTER


A few days ago at the Green Market I noticed that "Wicklow Farms" still had Rhubarb really red Rhubarb so I had to buy it.
I have made quite a few jams and chutneys so I wanted something a bit different I came upon a recipe that is sooo easy it is ridiculous called Rhubarb Butter.
All you do is chop up 4 cups of Rhubarb-add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup orange juice .
Cook over medium heat and that is it.
I tried this plate placed in the freezer test-which I have been seeing on a lot of the blogs basically you put a plate in the freezer when you think your jam or butter or preserves are done take a small sample and place it on the plate return it to the freezer for 2 minutes then if it crinkly when you touch it-you have jam.
I got one small and one medium size jam jar out of this.
I of course sterilized the jars and lids before hand and this time I put the filled jars into boiling water for 15 minutes-I think it was probably not necessary since I keep them in the frig as opposed to a dark cupboard.

The jam in the middle of the picture is blueberry nectarine jam something I made up as I went along-I had a large amount of blueberries from Trader Joes that Lars wanted to buy totally forgetting that he was leaving for Rhode Island for a week. I also had on hand 2 white nectarines, two regular nectarines and one small peach that needed to be eaten or else. So I peeled the stone fruit (weighed in at just over a pound) and chopped it up into 1 inch pieces placed it in a pot with a scant 1 cup sugar and chopped crystallized ginger set it on stove for about 15 minutes-when the fruit started to cook down I added the blueberries (12 or 13 ounces) for another 15 minutes. Performed the freezer plate test, sterilized and got one medium size jar of a excellent tasting jam.I am very glad I only added 1 cup of sugar the white nectarines are like candy

No comments:

Post a Comment