Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

Rack of Lamb and Couscous w/turmeric and cilantro










I was in the mood for lamb one night a few weeks ago and my favorite way to prepare it is the BBQ. I went to Trader Joes and bought a Frenched Lamb Rack from New Zealand.
I did nothing out of the ordinary-salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and some garlic.
Lars popped on the grill and it was excellent. It came out perfect and pink on the inside, crunchy and "Herby" on the outside.

I also made a new side dish with Israeli Couscous.
I found this recipe in Bon Appetit and changed it a bit.

COUSCOUS WITH FRESH CILANTRO AND LEMON JUICE
6 servings

2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1 2/3 cups water
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 cups plain couscous (I used Israeli couscous)
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
Add turmeric and garlic and stir for one minute
Add water, lemon peel, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt; bring to a boil.
Remove pan from heat. Stir in the couscous .
Cover; let stand until liquid is absorbed about 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork mix in cilantro and lemon juice.
Add additional salt if desired.

My only changes were I used Israeli couscous which I put in at the same time as the turmeric and garlic to toast it first. I like the bigger grains it is similar to Orzo and I love the "toastieness." Then followed the recipe as is.I also cut the recipe in half since there is only the two of us.

Dish passed all my tests-it looked good-tasted terrific and was sooo easy to make-perfect for a week night.

No comments:

Post a Comment