Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

MORE RHUBARB

Still experimenting with Rhubarb and since our last batch of jam is gone decided to make a Rhubarb-Ginger Jam which both Lars and I agree is better than the first.
We very much enjoyed the Vanilla Rhubarb-but the vanilla was a bit overpowering
This jam allows for a more Rhubarb taste and though it is sweet (3 cups of sugar) the candied ginger cuts though most of that.
It tasted terrific on "Loretta's"(our new fave cafe across the street) croissants which are fresh out of the oven. I used no red food coloring it comes out a reddish color from the rhubarb. I also did not do the traditional hot bath-I boiled water and put the two jars I was using as well as their lids into the large pot and let them float in the boiling water for 5 minuets. I then poured in the finished somewhat cooled jam, let it cool some more in the jars, I then put the lids on and when I saw that the lids had created a dip (this info comes with canning jars) I put them in the frig. I used Bormioli Rocco canning glass jars. I got a medium size and a small size jar out of this recipe.

An old recipe for rhubarb jam with no added pectin.

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups diced fresh rhubarb
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • red food coloring, if desired, for color

Preparation:

Combine rhubarb, sugar, ginger, and lemon juice in a large saucepan; let stand until sugar is moistened by juices, about 20 minutes. Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring often, until thick and clear, about 15 minutes.

Skim off foam and add red food coloring if using. Ladle into hot sterilized canning jars and seal immediately. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes; adjust seals.
Makes about 3 half-pints of rhubarb jam.

























No comments:

Post a Comment