Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

RHUBARB SEASON


Rhubarb season has just started here in the Northeast, I am trying to make a assortment of things using the very pretty deep pink stalks.
Last week I made Rhubarb and Strawberry jam a old standby. This week I made a very nice Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney. Both recipes I got from "The Nordic Diet"
by Trina Hahnemann

Both recipes are very simple and both came out really well. The jam has a surprise of vanilla that at first was a little bit jolting but I am now quite pleased with the taste,but I think for my next batch I will experiment with using 1/2 of a vanilla bean.
Doing some digging around I found out that you can freeze rhubarb just wash chop into smallish pieces and freeze in a container or freezer bag, and you can also freeze it already cooked down, that way you will have it all year round. You can buy rhubarb at local grocery stores-but thinking of your "footprint" getting it at the Greenmarket and freezing it seems like a good idea.

Here are the two recipes:

RHUBARB AND STRAWBERRY JAM

1 whole vanilla bean
300g fresh or frozen organic strawberries
300g rhubarb, cut into small pieces
100g raw organic sugar

I have a small scale so I just weigh in grams but 300 grams is approx 10.58 ounces.
100 grams equals approx 3.52 ounces.

Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and place in a pan with the strawberries, rhubarb and sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil for 15 minutes. if it dries out a bit add a little water. Pour the hot jam into sterilized jars and seal tightly. Store in the refrigerator.
I boil water in a big pot and put in my jars and tops-it is easy. I have read recently that you can also take them out of a just finished batch from your dishwasher and you will be ok. I like to do it the old fashioned way. I use tongs to remove the jars.


RHUBARB-GINGER CHUTNEY

300g rhubarb cut into small pieces
100g grated ginger (I used 50g and it was very "gingeree")
1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
100g sugar
1 tbsp while wine vinegar

The conversions can be found in the recipe above.
Place all ingredients for the chutney in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes. Season and add more sugar to taste, if necessary(I did not). Let it cool down and place in sterilized jars.

I served the chutney with a pork loin roast that had a fennel seed, garlic and rosemary paste that I placed into small slits in the meat. I also made roasted potatoes. It was a great meal!



1 comment:

  1. Love that Rhubarb! The ginger goes so well with it, too. The vanilla-rhubarb combo is more of an acquired taste for me. Overall though, YUM!

    ReplyDelete